This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Curiosity about "GUID change button"

1 reply to this topic

gronchi

gronchi
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 15:25

Hi to all,

What is the meaning of the "change GUID" button in project/Settings.../Application?
Why should I change the GUID of a project?
What the consequences?

Ciao, Giuseppe

P.S. I have an idea...
if I want to prepare a copy of existing project (very similar but not the same) I forget the IS Help way:
"Copy a project as a new project"
and I make:
1. a physical copy of the old-project file (copy&paste from file system)
2. rename the projct name
3. open the new project with IS
4. goto project/Settings.../Application/change GUID
5. rebuild

et voila` le joux son fe` (sorry for my french...)

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 15:57

The GUID is the unique identifier for your setup.  This numeric string is used to control the installation & uninstallation of a setup.

If two IS projects have the same GUID, then they will make use of the same Add/Remove Program entry (i.e. HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\<ProjectGUID>) as well the same local setup location (i.e. C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\<ProjectGUID>\).

Therefore the last one in is the active one for maintenance--component adjustment, repair, or removal.

As a general rule of thumb, two products should never have the same GUID, nor should an update/patch have the same GUID as full install.  Otherwise you could only maintain one product, or only uninstall the updated/patched files respectively.

As for your P.S., I don't know how the help documents this, but I'm guessing it suggests a Save As from IS in which case your way does save some work.  Not a revolutionary idea though, but a useful tip for those unaware of it.

user posted image