This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Including New file in a Patch doesn’t patch at all ???

5 replies to this topic

Dan

Dan
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 February 2001 - 17:41

I am using ISWI 2.1.  I am distributing a patch to update some existing files from initial installation package.  This patch also includes new file that was not install on the target machine.  When patch is run the final result is: Old files are not updated and new file is not installed.

I tried to edit .pcp file “UpgradedFiles_OptionalData Table”  AllowIgnoreOnPatchError column setting to 1 to allow Installer to cont patching if  a particular file can’t be patched, but this didn’t help ether.  In fact after the patching I can’t uninstall app anymore.

Can anyone provide feedback or suggesting on this matter?

jam

jam
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 February 2001 - 18:01

I'm in the same boat as you.  But I don't want to add new files I just want to update already existing files.  I was somewhat successfull doing this.  I had to make sure the product code, and upgrade code were the same for the old installation and the update installation.  Plus I hade to make sure the component codes were the same as the old component codes for the files I wanted to update.  The files were updated correctly but when I tried to uninstall the entire product, only the patched files were removed.  I'm thinking of just deploying my update as a zip file.

Dan

Dan
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 February 2001 - 18:41

When i create a patch to update existing files  everything goes good.  All the files that I need to update got updated. And I don’t have problem with uninstall.  I don’t change nether product code or upgrade code or component code.  I start to have problems only when have a new file in the patch.

But thanks anyway.

More response will be really appreciated.

SteveP

SteveP
  • Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 February 2001 - 19:13

You may want to take a look at the way you are identifying your new files.  You should be able to add files to existing components, so long as you don't change the name of the Component KeyPath.  However, you can't add components to existing Features.  You can add new features and associate new components with those features.  

I don't use IS, so I am not sure how this works with your packager.  What you may want to do is to ensure that the new files that are being added are associated with a new feature.  Most of the packagers I have reviewed create a new component for each new file ... so I suspect that your packager is treating the patch as a Minor Upgrade, and that would require changing the Product Code if you are not expanding the Feature and FeatureComponents tables.

For additional information, see the article Changing the Product Code in the Windows Installer SDK.

Louis Carpentier

Louis Carpentier
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 February 2001 - 00:46

I am struggling again with creating a patch. In one product I support I have to add a number of files to an existing component, along with distributing all the changed files. When I create the patch, I see via the mspview utility most of my changed files (not sure why it is not pulling in all the files that have be recompiled) but none of the files I have added. So, I have 3 problems. 1. What triggers ISWI to include new files in the patch? 3. Why is ISWI not pulling in my files that have a modify date greater then the base version. 3. Why is WI not installing my changed files. I am using ISWI 1.5.2 and am a novice at packaging product and using this ISWI. My learning experience has been through trial and error.