This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Inform user about problem in CA

1 reply to this topic

kretmatt

kretmatt
  • Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:26

Hello,
I have a Basic MSI Project with a Custom Action calling an InstallScript function.
My CA is set to:
Synchronous (Check exit code)
Deferred Execution
After InstallFiles

In my function I run some commands and checking for errors.
Some of these errors are expected in some cases, and I want to inform the user about that problem, but do not want to cancel the installation process.
Not a big deal during normal installation (MessageBox).

But how can I achieve this during a silent installation?
I want to return an "error" code from my CA to msiexec, so that I can check if some of these "expected errors" take place.
I know I can write into a log file (I am already doing that), but I need a hint at the end of the installation that I need check that log file. I do not want to check it every time.

Is there a solution for my problem? Maybe a completely different one, than I thought about?

Thank you very much in advance.
Matthias

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 19:54

The problem is that a deferred custom action can't pass proeprty values back to the install process. So you'll have to check the log file (or a registry entry or whatever) every time.