This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Multiple previous setups

12 replies to this topic

kirankumar

kirankumar
  • Full Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 13:21

Hi All please help me in how to create the patch with multiple previous setups.

I am using the installshield 11 professional edition,while creating the patch i added the latest setup as version 2.2.5.1 and in previous1 is 2.2.4.0 ,previous2 is 2.2.5.0 after adding the setups i build ed the patch, while building the patch i got an error message as

"There was an error creating the patch package. writing contets of log file 'E:\install\vis\patch\patchConfiguration1\Interm\PatchCreation.log' to output window"

So please give some suggestions for this,

i tried some methods that was mentioned in help
1.Free up disk space
2.Ensure that a valid GUID is used for ProductCode, UpgradeCode, and Package Code of both the base and upgraded MSI packages.
3.Ensure that any previous and latest setups used in building the patch contain an UpgradeCode.

please help me ....urgent.....Thanks for Help.

Regards,
--kirankumar GT.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 14:52

Did you look at the log?

kirankumar

kirankumar
  • Full Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:02

Thanks Stefan i seen the log file and i attached that please go through this.

--kirankumar

Attached Files

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 17:29

Please increment the ProductVersion number in one of the first three fields. Windows Installer ignores the fourth field, so 2.2.5.1 and 2.2.5.0 are treated as identical version numbers.

From the log:
Val0003: This setup will perform a SMALL upgrade of the referenced previous setup e:\my installshield 11 projects\old_backup\vista\copy (3) of workingpatchbackup_080423\patch\previous4\colavo.msi
Val0003: This setup will perform a MINOR upgrade of the referenced previous setup e:\my installshield 11 projects\old_backup\vista\copy (3) of workingpatchbackup_080423\patch\previous5\colavo.msi
ERROR: This patch contains multiple transform sets and is a mixture of QFE, minor, and/or major patches.

Note the "QFE" is sometimes used when referring to a "small update".

kirankumar

kirankumar
  • Full Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:05

Dear Stefan-san thanks for your reply,
i observed one more instance of getting the same error 6415 but in log file description is different.

Please go through the attached log file, Here i am building the normal patch consisting latest setup as 2.2.5.0 and previous setup as 2.2.4.0(i am not building the multiple previous setups),

while building the patch it is giving the error as -6415, but in log file it is giving the different description as

ERROR: Cannot create patch file for 'E:\My InstallShield 11 Projects\Old_Backup\Vista\Copy (3) of WorkingPatchBackup_080423\patch\Latest4\.\program files\gt\bolavo\.\resource\resource.aul' at 'C:\DOCUME~1\KIRANK~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ISP51.tmp\Family4\00110.PAT'.

so please help me in this scenario, i think the above problem (previous post) is due to this,Am i right?

--kirankumar

Attached Files

kirankumar

kirankumar
  • Full Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:43

Dear stefan-san,

I solved the problem, what u mentioned is correct( Please increment the ProductVersion number in one of the first three fields. Windows Installer ignores the fourth field, so 2.2.5.1 and 2.2.5.0 are treated as identical version numbers.
)
After building the patch, while running the patch i am getting the 1706 error,
i gave msi commandline arguments in patch configuration as REINSTALLMODE=omus REINSTALL=ALL,

please help me out in this situation.

--kirankumar

kirankumar

kirankumar
  • Full Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 13:17

Dear stefan-san i am attaching the verbose log file, this i got while running the update.exe please go through this and tell the problem thanks for your great help.

--kirankumar

Attached Files

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 21:52

The v is missing from your REINSTALLMODE, it should be:
REINSTALLMODE=vomus REINSTALL=ALL

kirankumar

kirankumar
  • Full Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 08:00

Dear stefan-san,

Thanks for your reply,i checked with "vomus" also but still the problem exist.

one more error came as
DEBUG: Error 2835: The control ErrorIcon was not found on dialog SetupError
Internal Error 2835. ErrorIcon, SetupError

Stefan-san, please give some suggestions regarding this.

--kirankumar

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:32

You can ignore these errors. They're telling you that an icon is missing for a dialog control. I see these for 99% of vendor-supplied MSIs.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

kirankumar

kirankumar
  • Full Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:42

Thanks VBscab-san for your reply,

According to Stefan-san suggestion i was changed the REINSTALLMODE option from "omus" to "vomus",
After that if run through the verbose mode(setup.exe /v"/l*vx c:\mylog.txt") it is working fine,but if run directly(by double clicking) it was giving the error,i attached this as an attachment,

in attachment if i press ok then it gave pop up as

" the path cannot be found.verify that you have access to this location and try again,or try to find the installation package productname.msi in a folder from which you can install the product."

if i press cancel then it is giving the message as

"installation source for this product is not available. verify that the source exists and that you can access it"

please help me in this situation.

--kirankumar

Attached Images

• multiple.JPG

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 12:03

If the source cannot be found for a previous install to be re-installed, then clearly the source is unavailable! Check the source list for the product. This can be found beneath HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\[PackedProductCode]\SourceList\LastUsedSource

where [PackedProductCode] is the product's Product Code packed in the bizarre way that Microsoft deemed was an efficient method. Below are 2 routines to create and decipher the packed string. So, feed in the Product Code you're looking for, then look beneath the registry key above for the packed (or, as I call it above, munged) Product Code, then the SourceList key's LastUsedSource value.

CODE

Call MungeProductCode("{D650B8A9-C547-42D3-A7DF-0FAD0AC6E9ED}", i)
WScript.Echo i & " should match " & vbCRLF & "9A8B056D745C3D247AFDF0DAA06C9EDE" & vbCRLF & vbCRLF

Call UnMungeProductCode(i, j)
WScript.Echo j & " should match " & vbCRLF & "{D650B8A9-C547-42D3-A7DF-0FAD0AC6E9ED}" & vbCRLF & vbCRLF

Sub MungeProductCode(ByVal strProductCode, ByRef strMungedCode)
 '// This routine munges the ProductCode into the munged format
 '// used by various registry entries for Windows Installer
 '// For example: {D650B8A9-C547-42D3-A7DF-0FAD0AC6E9ED}
 '//    becomes
 '//   9A8B056D745C3D247AFDF0DAA06C9EDE

Dim arrSortOrder
 Dim strNewCode
 Dim intIndex

arrSortOrder     = Array(9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,14,13,12,11,19,18,17,16,22,21,24,23,27,26,29,28,31,30,33,32,35,34,37,36)

'// Generate the munged code
 For intIndex = 0 To UBound(arrSortOrder)
  strNewCode    = strNewCode & Mid(strProductCode,arrSortOrder(intIndex),1)
 Next

strMungedCode    = strNewCode
End Sub

Sub UnMungeProductCode(ByVal strMungedCode, ByRef strProductCode)
 '// This routine reconstructs a ProductCode from the munged format
 '// used by various registry entries for Windows Installer
 '// For example: 9A8B056D745C3D247AFDF0DAA06C9EDE
 '//    becomes
 '//   {D650B8A9-C547-42D3-A7DF-0FAD0AC6E9ED}

Dim arrSortOrder
 Dim intIndex
 Dim strPartTemp
 Dim strPart1
 Dim strPart2
 Dim strPart3
 Dim strPart4
 Dim strPart5

'// Part 1
 strPartTemp    = Left(strMungedCode, 8)
 strPart1    = StrReverse(strPartTemp)

'// Part 2
 strPartTemp    = Mid(strMungedCode, 9, 4)
 strPart2    = StrReverse(strPartTemp)

'// Part 3
 strPartTemp    = Mid(strMungedCode, 13, 4)
 '// Excuse me! May I borrow these variables for a moment?
 strPart3    = Left(strPartTemp, 2)
 strPart4    = Right(strPartTemp, 2)
 strPart3    = StrReverse(strPart4) & StrReverse(strPart3)

'// Now deal with part 4 properly
 strPartTemp    = Mid(strMungedCode, 17, 2)
 strPart4    = Mid(strMungedCode, 19, 2)
 strPart4    = StrReverse(strPartTemp) & StrReverse(strPart4)

strPartTemp    = Mid(strMungedCode, 21, 12)

arrSortOrder     = Array(2,1,4,3,6,5,8,7,10,9,12,11)

'// Generate the product code
 For intIndex = 0 To UBound(arrSortOrder)
  strPart5    = strPart5 & Mid(strPartTemp,arrSortOrder(intIndex),1)
 Next

strProductCode    = ""
 strProductCode    = strProductCode & "{"
 strProductCode    = strProductCode & strPart1
 strProductCode    = strProductCode & "-"
 strProductCode    = strProductCode & strPart2
 strProductCode    = strProductCode & strPart3
 strProductCode    = strProductCode & strPart4
 strProductCode    = strProductCode & strPart5
 strProductCode    = strProductCode & "}"
End Sub

Edited by VBScab, 07 May 2008 - 12:04.

- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

kirankumar

kirankumar
  • Full Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 12:47

Thanks VBscab-san for your wonderful reply,

1.You told is correct,there is no source is available, what is the solution for this?

i am updating using the patch mechanism( update.exe for update the old versions).

2. San i have one more doubt regarding multiple previous setups,

is it possible to give version number for latest (means 2.2.5.1 to latest setup), for previous setup1 2.2.4.0 and for previous setup2 is 2.2.5.0?
instead of giving latest setup as 2.2.6.0, previous setup1 as 2.2.4.0 and for previous setup2 as 2.2.5.0

because i need to update only fourth field for 2.2.5.0 and for 2.2.4.0 we need to update both third and fourth field.

i tried by changing the version of latest setup to 2.2.5.1,i got 6415 build error,
please give some suggestions on this.

--kirankumar