This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Unnecessary attempts of the setup to restore temp

4 replies to this topic

gloom

gloom
  • Full Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 14:25

I copy some temporary files (and folders) to Temp folder. Then these files are needless.
Problem arises when somebody runs the "Disk clean" and empties Temp folder.
After this, he runs the main program and the standard dialog from setup appears, asking to insert CD.

I have cleared "key files" for components with "TempFolder" destination. But it's unhelpful..
Please, advise me..

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 16:43

If you don't need them why do you install them in the first place? If you only need them temporarily during installation why don't you store them in the Binary table?
Clearing the key file should avoid the restore (but still is not the recommended clean solution). Of course you need to test on a clean system.

gloom

gloom
  • Full Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 05:06

Danke, Stefan!

If you don't need them why do you install them in the first place? If you only need them temporarily during installation why don't you store them in the Binary table?

Because the MSI file will greatly increase.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 06:06

I suppose you could also add these files in the support files view instead of installing them as temp files. Then they should be available in temp during installation, and automatically cleaned when the install finishes.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 06:07

Finally: you can blank out the GUID for components that install files you don't want windows installer to "care about". This would mean the files cannot be easily patched or upgraded.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul