This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Components prereq'd by several features

2 replies to this topic

ahilden

ahilden
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 September 2002 - 05:44

In the help and several other places I find these two comments about components that are prereqed by more than one product:

1). The update can add, remove, or modify the files, registry keys, or shortcuts of components that are not shared by one or more features. If the update modifies a versioned file, that file's version must be incremented in the File table. If the update removes resources, it should also update the RemoveFile and RemoveRegistry tables to remove any unused files, registry keys, or shortcuts that have already been installed.
2). The update of a component that is shared by two or more features must be backward compatible with all applications and features that use the component. The update can modify the resource of a shared component, such as files, registry entries, and shortcuts, as long as the changes are backward compatible. It is not recommended that the update add or remove files, registry entries, or shortcuts from a shared component.

From this it appears that if a component can be installed by more than 1 feature then the install cannot be properly updated.  This sounds bizarre to me, or am I reading it wrong.  Does anyone have any idea of what problem this will cause.  I have created a few initial patches and so far I can't see any problems created by having a component belong to more than 1 feature.  Does anyone have any more information on these two clauses or experience in the problems caused by not obeying these particular rules.  

If they do cause major problems, then is there any way aroung these problems.  

Thanks,
Andrew
Andrew

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 September 2002 - 14:10

They say your component must be backward compatible if it's shared across products. That makes sense I think.
If multiple features in the same product share a component, and you make sure that all these features get updated simultaneously, I don't see a problem.

ahilden

ahilden
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 September 2002 - 14:40

Stefan, Thanks, that clears it up for me. It makes sense now.

Thanks,
Andrew
Andrew