This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

MSDE2K & sqlredis.exe

2 replies to this topic

Gavin

Gavin
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 November 2001 - 23:39

Has anyone out there encountered this issue when using the MSDE2K (SP1) merge modules and Win98 where setup will abruptly end right as it begins with the "Setup Interrupted" dialog?  Examining the logs, I see "error  1157 loading library sqlcax.dll".  The only way that I have found to avoid this is to run the sqlredis.exe file before setup.  I have tried multiple ways to get that file run in the User Interface sequence, binary table, right off the CD, etc. to no avail.  Any suggestions?

pBoy

pBoy
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2002 - 09:23

I have met w/your problem on Win98 and I wrote a little Delphi test application that tries to load sqlcax.dll to find out why loading of sqlcax.dll failed during the MSDE install.

As I expected, some statically linked .dlls were unavailable on Win98 that prevented sqlcax.dll from loading.

After monitoring file activity of the loader test application w/filtering to the .dll file activity, I found that sqlcax.dll tries to load odbc32.dll and that fails on a Win98, because it does not ship w/ODBC stuff installed.

Seems so far, the solution is to preinstall the ODBC stuff before installing MSDE 2 itself.

Since it's not tested yet, FYI I show you a list of statically linked .dlls (given by Dependency Walker) of sqlcax.dll:

ADVAPI32.DLL
COMCTL32.DLL
COMDLG32.DLL
GDI32.DLL
KERNEL32.DLL
LZ32.DLL
MPR.DLL
MSI.DLL
MSVCRT.DLL
NTDLL.DLL
ODBC32.DLL
OLE32.DLL
OLEAUT32.DLL
RPCRT4.DLL
SHELL32.DLL
SHLWAPI.DLL
SQDEDEV.DLL
SQLCAX.DLL
SQLRESLD.DLL
SQLSTP.DLL
SQLSUT.DLL
SQLUNIRL.DLL
USER32.DLL
VERSION.DLL
WINSPOOL.DRV
WS2HELP.DLL
WS2_32.DLL

Regards,

Peter Karsai

Gavin

Gavin
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 March 2002 - 03:22

Thanks for the info!  I have written a stub app in C++ that I call my "Pre-Install Sequence" that just launches the sqlredis.exe and waits for it to finish, then launches my setup.exe and that seems to work.  I will definitely take a look at the dependancies and perhaps just copy a file or two ahead of the regular install.  This may just do the trick!  Thanks again.