This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

InstallShield Debugger

6 replies to this topic

Scott Mayham

Scott Mayham
  • Full Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 17:59

I don't often use the IS debugger, since I don't often debug installations on my development machine, which is where the IS IDE is installed (my position on this is that debugging a "green" installation on your development box is kind of like doing brain surgery on yourself in the bathroom mirror - doable, but kind of risky).

What I'd REALLY like would be to be able to use the IS script debugger on a test machine (actually, a VMWare virtual machine), without having to install IS on the test box. Is there any way to "port" only that portion of IS necessary to support the debugger, or is it inextricably wedded to the whole IDE?

Regards,
T. Scott Mayham
Senior Software Engineer - Innovations
678 319 8384
Scott.Mayham@Infor.com

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 22:05

I totally understand your desires. Check out this IS Knowledge Base article or look in the help for the same information.
user posted image

Scott Mayham

Scott Mayham
  • Full Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 00:32

Taco! You th' man!

I've already found my bug using the debugger as described in the KB article you referenced. I may just ship the debugger and the scripts folder with all my installs.

Quiero TacoBell!

T. Scott Mayham
Senior Software Engineer - Innovations
678 319 8384
Scott.Mayham@Infor.com

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 03:54

You're welcome Scott.

Yeah, I know a few InstallSite members who actually do ship the debugger & scripts with their installs for field debugging.

I personally don't do that. Instead I have a log file I write with each install and a few command-line switches to expose debug messages, but worst case I could always send someone the necessary files.

Edited by TacoBell00, 30 April 2003 - 03:55.

user posted image

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 08:29

I don't think the debugger is on the list of redistributable files wink.gif

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 15:53

I wondered about that as I wrote my reply. The others may actually _just_ include the scripts. I'm not certain they also ship the debugger.
user posted image

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 16:01

On the other hand you could get it from the eval package anyway...