This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Install script msi

6 replies to this topic

rajesh kumar

rajesh kumar
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 18:01

I have seen few install script msi apps wherein i cannot suppress the dialogs during installation using setp.iss or the command line parameters supplied .The snapshot wont work either with the packaging tool because the app installs the drivers. These dialogs are something outside the application dialog system. something like "your computer screen is going to turn black but it is not an error"which is nothing but an informational message.Can these type of messages be suppressed?

Thanks

Rajesh kumar

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 19:12

QUOTE (rajesh kumar @ 2009-07-01 17:01)
The snapshot wont work either with the packaging tool because the app installs the drivers.

What makes you think you can't snapshot driver installation? Are you using Wise Package Studio, by any chance?
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

rajesh kumar

rajesh kumar
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:19

Yeah i use wise package studio...and the option i use is setup capture with wise script editor.

Thanks

Rajesh

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 09:42

Sooooooo...turn on the 'hardware registry' capture option and/or turn on SmartMonitor.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 15:34

And regarding your original question: you probably won't be able to suppress these dialogs, but you could automatically dismiss them using a tool like AutoIt.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 22:52

If this is coming from a dll custom action that runs as a pre-req check, you may be able to disable it by commenting out the custom action. This means that the whole action won't run, but sometimes that doesn't matter if the function call is only informational (which it probably is in this case).

Enabling hardware capture in wise may actually work, but it isn't very elegant, nor terribly reliable. And typically you end up with a lot of enum keys and other dynamically generated crap that you should NOT install.

And I second Stefan - AutoIt actually does work very well for what it does (sending keystrokes). I have used it 3 times I think, when there was no other acceptable solution.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

rajesh kumar

rajesh kumar
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 12:56

Thank you all for your valuable response. I did use the Autoit script as the last resort and it worked!!.. Turning on the hardware registry keys did not help and i was left out with a huge number of enum keys which gave me the same results as earlier..Probably a thorough digging would have helped but as i said autoit did it for me.

Thanks again

Rajesh

Edited by rajesh kumar, 06 July 2009 - 12:58.