This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

setup wrapper

1 reply to this topic

zmfcat1

zmfcat1
  • Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 23:02

Hi all,
I have two setup.exe files (both are windows installers of different products). I am attempting to have a single package (setup.exe), so that when the user runs it, it deploys both

The first setup.exe has several features, some features are installed based on the choice of the user in the dialogs of this setup. Now, the second setup.exe should be run only if a specific feature of of the first setup.exe is installed. I found out that i cannot associate a Windows installer with a feature in another windows installer...so I moved to setup prerequisites and adding another additional setup.exe (the third one) which acts as a wrapper for the other two.

I put the wrapper and second setup.exe as prerequisites of my first setup.exe.

This wrapper basically just creates a dummy registry key based on the choice of the user it its dialog screen to identify that a feature is chosen for install and I put in logic in the prerequisite condition of the second setup.exe to check for this registry key and run if present....now it does not work. Installhield does not even list the second setup.exe in the prerequisite list when i run the first setup.exe because it does not see the registry that is supposed to be created by the wrapper and this is because the wrapper has not run yet.

If you guys have read this this far I would not be surprised it you are not confused....is there a better way to handle my issue? Thanks in advance if any of you can help.

smc0862

smc0862
  • Full Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:33

A couple of questions:

- These 2 setup files, are they 3rd party or do you have control over them?
- What version of InstallShield are you using for this?
- How are you determining the chosen feature in order to set the dummy registry key?

I don't think you'll be able to use prerequisites here. When your wrapper starts up it determines what prerequisite setups to include based on their conditions. Seeing the 2nd one is dependent on a registry key being set based on the first setup, you'll never see the 2nd one listed the first time you run your wrapper.

Edited by smc0862, 23 October 2009 - 11:33.