This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

installscript tab in MSI project

3 replies to this topic

yh2

yh2
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 09:49

i have two questions, i hope you can answer me:
(i use Installshield 10.5)
1) what is the difference between writing my code in installscript project to writing it in MSI project using the installscript events under the installscript tab?
2) MSI project uses what is written in the 'Sequences' tab in order to run the installation. how can i combine this with the events written in the 'Installscript' tab?

thanks,
yh2

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 11:31

InstallScript projects are all driven by the script. This is the "old fashoined" model.
In Windows Installer (MSI) everything is defined in tables, like the sequence table. If Windows Installer's standard actions can't do what you need you can add a custom action to the sequence table. Natively Windows Installer supports custom actions in the form of DLL, EXE, VBScript, JScript (and a few others that are not relevant in this context). InstallShield added an extension to enable Windows Installer to also use custom actions written in InstallScript. In general a DLL written in C is preferrable over InstallScript. For instance, your setup needs to install the InstallScript engine on the target machine in order to run a InstalLScript custom action. While that can be done automatically, it adds potential for errors, increases the size of your setup, and adds clutter to your user's computer.

yh2

yh2
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 11:51

so in MSI project the sequence table replaces the Installscript code?
and the sequence table is preferred?
and another question, i don't know if my main project should be installscript project or MSI project, what considerations should i take?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 17:52

so in MSI project the sequence table replaces the Installscript code?
Basically, yes. But you still can "insert" single InstallScript functions into the sequence in the form of custm actions. But the driving framework is the sequence table.
and the sequence table is preferred?

In a MSI setup yes, I would try to avoid InstallScript. But you may decide not to use MSI but instead create a (pure) InstalLScript project.
i don't know if my main project should be installscript project or MSI project
MSI is the newer technology, it's a "standard", endored by Microsoft, supported by several third parties, and often preferred by system administrators (important if your customers are large corporations). However some find it more complicated and complex, and it has some rules you must follow and some limitation you need to accept.
InstallScript is "old fashoined" but gives more control.
I you haven't used either before and you don't have requirements that MSI cannot handle nicely (like special user interface controls, or installing multiple instances of your software on the same machine side-by-side) then I would recommend MSI.