This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Patches and Windows Installer Bug:  Needs original files

2 replies to this topic

Moki

Moki
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2002 - 22:42

I see some have come across the Windows Installer bug that requires a patch to have access to the original files (in their original installation location) in order to run (see MS KB article Q268800).  

My question:  Has anyone found a workaround for this?  If not, then the common scenario of installations run from a CD cannot be patched without the original CD. (How many of your customers keep the original CD?   What if the Sys Admin did the install with one CD and 100 pc's and now wants to distribute the patch from a network dirve?  See the problems?)

So, what can we do?  I'm hesitant to change registry entries for the InstallSource.  Has anyone found or heard of a solution?  This bug is only confirmed for Windows Installer 1.0-1.2...and they are out with 2.0 now.  Does anyone know if it is even still an issue?

hennom

hennom
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2002 - 06:46

I'm having the same problem, using Windows INstaller 2.0 with patches reated by ISD 7.03.

1. You do'nt need the " real" original CD.
The path where you're application was originaly installed from is cached. So you need to have an msi file on that same locaction.
When I'm making a patch I'm distributing it on CD-ROM together with a complete setup of the newer version and this is working fine. You have to keep in mnd not to change the order of your locations and name of the msi-file.

2. I don't have a solution for applying from a network or www.

3. When reading Q268800 it occurs to me that the way a patch is build is very important. Maybe the patch-wizzard in ISD 7.0 can be improved on this point.

Good luck.

Banjo

Banjo
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 16:21

2) Why would any network admin install 100 pcs from the CD.  If I were in that position I would copy the installation to the network and install from there.

3) Only the first point that article is caused by the patch authoring.  All of the other points are caused by missing files or settings in the source package.
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.