This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

New dialog is not displayed

4 replies to this topic

Ajawl

Ajawl
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 October 2001 - 15:11

Hello people,
I have developed a setup using the ISWI 1.50.
Now I have to update the old setup just to replace some files. But I want to insert a new dialog during the user interface sequence. There is no conditions for this new dialog.
While I am updating the old version, I cannot show this new dialog. I am using the commad line: "REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus".
When I run this setup, as a new program (the old version is not installed), this new dialog is shown.
Does anybody know why is it happing?
Thanks.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 02 October 2001 - 08:48

An update via reinstall will not show the same dialog sequence as a fresh install. A fresh install starts with the SetupWelcome dialog, while an update starts with SetupResumr. You will have to add your new dialog in that sequence, too. Note that you cannot change some settings (like the detsination directory) during an update.

Ajawl

Ajawl
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 October 2001 - 08:47

Hi Stefan,
Thanks for replying. But my new dialog is displayed before the InstallWelcome and SetupResume dialogs. This new dialog comes just after the SetupInitialization dialog and must be displayed in all cases (fresh installation and update).
I am searching for the reason of this problem. I found some interesting things, but not the solution. I will describe them.
Usually my setup has the user interface in two languages (English and German). I built again my setup using just English as the language for the UI. Then the problem did not happen and the new dialog was shown during the version 2 update or fresh installation.
Then I built again the projects (version 1 and version 2) releasing the two languages (English and German) for the UI. The installation of the version 1 had no problems. When I update using the version 2, the new dialog that I have mencioned (and that was not included in version 1) did not appear. It does not matter if I install in English or in German. The problem occurs exactly when I release the setup with two languages (maybe more) for the UI. When there is just one language, the problem does not happen.
I have seen that when I have two languages for the UI and I am updating the program, the setup is executed using the file msi that was previously installed by the version 1. This installed msi (version 1) does not have the new dialog and for this reason it is not displayed. I have also verified that wrinting "1" in each version 1 dialog and "2" in each version 2 dialog. During the update, just the dialogs with "1" were displayed. Why does it happens? It should be displayed the dialogs from the version 2.
When I realeased both versions using just one language for the UI, the dialogs from version 1 were displayed during the first installation, and the dialogs from the version 2 were correctly displayed during the update. I think that this is the correct process.
I have also logged the update of version 2 that was released with two languages for the UI. Then I found this error:
"MSI © (B4:F0): Doing action: NewDialog1
Action start 09:34:40: NewDialog1.
MSI © (B4:F0): Transforming table Error.
Internal Error 2726. NewDialog1
Action ended 09:34:40: NewDialog1. Return value 0."

Do you have any idee? Have you seen anything like that? Please, I need your help.

Thank you,
Ajawl

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 October 2001 - 17:09

Did you generate a new package code for the new version and follow the update guidelines posted here on InstallSite under Windows Installer Tools and Tips?

Ajawl

Ajawl
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 October 2001 - 10:02

I have followed all tips, from "Minor and Major Upagrades Using IPWI, item 1-Upgrading by Reinstalling", by Robert M. Dickau.
I also followed all the rules from the page "WIndows Installer Tools & Tips - Updates and Patches - Update Rules".
So I did:
I change only the packge code and the product version.
I did not change the product code and the upgrade code.
I used the command line "REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus".
I did not change any feature neither any component. I have just updated some files. The files´ name were not changed.
I am doing just a minor upgrade.
Any idea?
Thank you,
Ajawl