This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

SQL And Dialog

2 replies to this topic

hsmok

hsmok
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 16:18

I want to buld application using this IS built in SQL Function. Are there any steps to do it or just include Drivers or DSN in ODBC Resources in Configuring target system of IS Menus.

About dialog, Could I build custom dialog with variables i define myself ?

Thanks for it.

CodeSkunk

CodeSkunk
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 18:48

I am sorry hsmok, your question is not understood -

You:   "this IS built in SQL Function"...

Me:    "WHAT IS built in SQL function ?"
Is it pertinant to an ISDev7 "STANDARD PROJECT ?" which is the forum you are in. (it doesn't sound like it is)
WHAT are you trying to do ?
Just trying to help, but I don't get what it is that you are trying to do.

I think that this might be what you are getting at....
Including ODBC resources by checking the DSN boxes should work fine AS LONG AS the user has a version of the ODBC driver manager that shipped with MDAC 2.5 or newer.  Windows 2000, and XP come with sufficient versions so you will only need to worry about 9x and NT.

IF your ODBC DSN registration attempts to work without these dependancies resolved, you will get an ugly error towards the end of the MSI package installation.

One other thing.  MDAC installs SQL drivers for many different data stores.
You won't need to have the driver checked along with the DSN if you are upgrading MDAC as a course of your installation.

If you want to "do it yourself", you can opt to create a custom action to call SQLConfigDataSource in ODBCCCP32.DLL yourself.  
This allows a little more control over the operation, but really I don't think taht this is a better way of doing it.
CodeSkunk
Sr. Propeller Head
~Making windows my b**ch since '93

hsmok

hsmok
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 15:31

I mean if user running my setup files and in his computer doesn't install SQL Server, could it run ? or i must include additional files or modules besides check list the SQL Driver/DSN ?