This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

No update with IS dev 7.04

4 replies to this topic

dobloni

dobloni
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 14:22

Hi,
I created a setup A and I have installed it.
I created a setup B, this include the same component, features and merge modules as setup A, not component or features were added, only files were updated.
I had to follow the "UPDATE RULES"

1)kept ProductCode and UpgradeCode
2)changed ProductVersion (from 1.04.0 to 1.05.0) and Package Code
3)not moved sub features
4)not moved componentes to other features
5)not changed component codes.
6)not changed the name of the key file of components

In SETUP.INI the CmdLine-Parameter was set to REINSTALLMODE=vomus REINSTALL=ALL

When I start Setup B, some of the files are not updated, even if the existing version is older.

Take note:
I used InstallShield Developer 7.0 Service Pack 4

Thanks
Marco

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 18:38

Generate a verbose log file of the update and see why these files don't get updated.

berty

berty
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 20:49

I'm having the same issue here, checked out the verbose log file and could only decipher a couple of things from it.

I search for a file that is being replaced, and low and behold, there is is in the log file in a FileCopy command. So far so good.

I search for a file that isn't getting replaced and don't find a FileCopy command for it. Thus the reason the file isn't copied.

I do a search on all calls to the FileCopy function and find three occurances of the FileCopy function. These three files each reside in it's own feature and component in the IDE. So I have four features, three with one component each containing just one file (which are being replaced), and one feature with multiple components with multiple files per component that aren't being updated. Once component (a Help component) grabs it's files from a dynamic link, adding the directory recursively (the help is html and has a specific folder structure that needs to be maintained). So it seems that the three features with one component containing one file are updating fine, where as the feature with multiple comonents, each containing multiple files, are not being updated.

I think there's something fundamental I'm missing here. I have used the REINSTALL=ALL and REINSTALLMODE=vomas, vamus, a, etc. I've tried many combinations of the command line parameters but I always get the same result that I spoke of above. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated, seems like I'm really having to jump through some hoops just to get a minor update working. And yes, I changed the package code and product version. I really hope I don't have to make a feature and component for each individual file. Or is this something that I screwed up in the original product release? This is a standard project in IS developer 7. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

berty

berty

berty
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 21:07

one more thing, also using sp4 for developer 7.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 October 2003 - 11:32

Compare the Request and Action values of your components and features. They should match.

Dynamically generating subcomponents can cause change of Component code (GUID) - especially if you didn't specify the older .msi file in the Patch Optimization panel of the Release Wizard. Changing a component GUID would be a violation of the upgrade rules and will cause all sorts of trouble.

Your alternative is a Major Upgrade (i.e. change the ProductCode and populate the Upgrade table)