This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Files left behind after ininstalling

3 replies to this topic

seanst

seanst
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 18:38

Hello

Occaisionally but not always when uninstalling an application one or more of my in house dlls are not uninstalled.

I'm assuming this is because Installshield thinks that they are still required by another application (although they are not) or it thinks they are still in use or for some reason it does not have rights to uninstall them.

I have only experienced this on Windows 2000 machines so I'm wondering if it's some kind of operating system issue?

If anyone has any ideas they'd be much appreciated.

Thanks

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 19:14

Are you trying to uninstall with a lower level of privileges than you did for installing?  'cause you should require Administrator privileges for both.
user posted image

seanst

seanst
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 10:58

I don't think the privileges have changed as this problem does not seem to effect all the installed files. I may for example have installed 10 dlls and installshield will uninstall all but 2 of them. Usually once this happens on a particular machine it will always leave the same 2 files every time you install and then uninstall the application on that machine.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 15:22

This could occur if you've released patch/update installs for your software and are using their uninstall routines instead of the original full uninstall.

However, one sure fire workaround is to modify the default Remove code in OnMaintUIBefore/After and add some additional cleanup just in case.
user posted image