This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Favour Source and ADDLOCAL Event

5 replies to this topic

bradfordt

bradfordt
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 17:09

In my Developer 7.2 Basic Install I set the feature remote installation to be Favour Source and some components therein to be Favour Source. Providing I invoke the Custom Setup dialog this works fine. If I select the Complete Setup Type then ALL components are installed on the local drive. This isn't what I would expect, since the default is Favour Source (and this is confirmed in the Custom Setup). It also contradicts Stefan's Newsletter paper on this.

On the Setup Type dialogue there is an event "ADDLOCAL=ALL" on the Next button, if I delete this then everything works as I would expect. Is it safe for me to remove this event for my release, or am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Tim.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 01:32

Yes, it should be safe to remove this, OR you can add a delimited list of the features you want to install locally to the ADDLOCAL property, and also specify ADDSOURCE for the features you want to install from source. The property ADDEFAULT could also be of help.

ADDSOURCE:
http://msdn.microsof...ce_property.asp

ADDLOCAL:
http://msdn.microsof...al_property.asp

ADDEFAULT:
http://msdn.microsof...lt_property.asp

Edited by Glytzhkof, 29 July 2004 - 01:33.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

bradfordt

bradfordt
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 09:08

Thanks.

My original post should have said that the components with remote installation set to OPTIONAL are always installed on the local drive if the Custom Setup dialogue is not invoked. Everything else holds true.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 09:36

Thanks for the clarification. Do you still see any contradiction to my article?

bradfordt

bradfordt
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 13:00

The only contradiction I see is this:

The article says, "For a feature, the Remote Installation property is merely a default value that defines how the feature comes up when the Custom Setup dialog is displayed for the first time, or how the feature will be installed if the Custom Setup dialog is not invoked."

Yet, in my installation the Favour Source on the feature's remote installation only takes effect if the Cutom Setup is invoked. This appears to be because of the ADDLOCAL=ALL event on the Complete Setup dialog which forces the install of all components onto the local drive.

With ADDLOCAL=ALL removed from the dialog, everything works as the paper describes.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 09:16

Okay, so I should have said: "... if the Custom Setup dialog is not invoked and you are not forcing a local installation in any other way."