This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Strange Admin rights problem

7 replies to this topic

seanst

seanst
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 December 2001 - 17:38

Hi

After installing an application on a Windows 2000 machine the application fails if it is run by user without full Admin rights.

The app was installed by a user with full Admin rights and works for that user.

If the user with full admin rights runs the app and logs off the machine the app can then be used successfully by any user.

In short the app only works if it is run first by a user with full admin rights.

Any ideas / help much appreciated.

Sean

TheWhistler

TheWhistler
  • Full Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 December 2001 - 17:57

What is your app doing from a creation/modification point of view?

seanst

seanst
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 December 2001 - 11:00

Thamks for your reply . The installation for the application installs several system files and third party ocx controls into the windows system folder and also installs some of our own dlls and ocxs into a common shared folder under program files\common files.
It is installed along with several other similar applications which all seem to work ok.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 05 December 2001 - 19:40

Sounds like when you initial run your app. it writes some HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE entries.  This can only be done by someone with Admin. priveleges.  Others can only read these entries which explains why it works afterwards.

dervin

dervin
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 00:14

I am seeing the same problem that you were having.  Could you post your solution to this? Thanks.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 01:42

Well you can figure out the culprit by using Regmon to see what keys/values are being accessed and therefore which ones are failing.
user posted image

Fouad Rziki

Fouad Rziki
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 10:27

i had the same problem once. only i did knew :) what keys/values were being accessed. Like TacoBell00 said , u can use Regmon to figure out the keys/values. afterthat u can use the Application "Regini.exe" to set the right permissions for this key.

gatekeeper

gatekeeper
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 December 2002 - 18:34

Hello Sean,
This is a known (now) bug in IS6.31. I was working with InstallShield and Microsoft support for months on this issue. This bug is caused by the rights issues that have been added to the new OS, namely Win2000 and XP.
IS knows about it and have fixed it in their newer version IS7.0

Now the issue is two folds.
1) when IS copies the files from the cab file to 'temp' dir and then to system32 directory. The files were keeping the access priveledges of Temp directory (not system32). Thus the ocxs and dlls are not accessible by User (unlike Admin). This issue has been resolved in IS7.0

2) When the IS6.31 creates a new destination folder, same rights issues are associated with the new directory. That is user don't have any write acces to it, whereas Admin can do anything. IS7.0 hasn't resolve this issue. The way I overcame this was to manually create a new directory and set the rights in there through a C program.

Hopefully this will help you.
Sincerely
Gatekeeper
:)