This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

ELEVATED PRIVILAGES

1 reply to this topic

Willie Holloway

Willie Holloway
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 February 2002 - 04:41

How do I make my install program run with
elevated privilages. There are plenty of write ups on the topic but no solid info.

Any help is appreciated.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 22 February 2002 - 04:50

Humm, well I know how to do so manually.  Hold down <Shift>, right click on an EXE, and select Run As.

As for doing so in IS though, well that's a different story.  I don't believe it's possible and is supposedly one of the "benefits" of the Windows Installer.

This FAQ from the current 6.31 Help file confirms this.

FAQ: Do My Users Need to Have Administrative Rights on Windows NT or Windows 2000 to Install My InstallShield Project?

Document ID: Q105258
This article applies to the following:
Product(s): InstallShield Professional 6.x
Last Revised On: 07/11/2001

Question
Do my users need to have administrative rights on Windows NT or Windows 2000 to install my InstallShield project?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Answer
Yes. A requirement of InstallShield Professional 6.x is that the user installing your project onto a target machine must have administrative rights on this machine. InstallShield needs full access to the target machine, including the Windows environment and the registry, in order to correctly install your application.
If you cannot require your users to have administrative rights, InstallShield - Windows Installer Edition may be the answer. This product allows your users to install with "elevated privileges". This grants them temporary administrative rights to perform the installation. Please contact your sales consultant for more information about this product.