This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

edit box controls tied to properties

7 replies to this topic

CM XS

CM XS
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 August 2001 - 20:16

Hi,

Is it possible to have an edit box control that's tied to a property appear in the UI initially empty?  

The problem I'm having is that the edit box displays the
property value, and properties have to be initialized.  The closest I've come to a solution is to initialize the property with a space (" "), but this is unacceptable, since the edit box appears empty, but if you tab to it in the dialog, the cursor position is after the space.  ugh.

any ideas?

thanks
CM

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 August 2001 - 21:40

Where does it say you must initialize the property?

CM XS

CM XS
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 August 2001 - 22:41

in the platform SDK doc, the value field in the property table can "never be a null or an empty string"

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 02 August 2001 - 09:06

You are right.  The documentation does say that.  It is a little misleading.

It is not a problem.  Edt controls are quite happy to accept property names that do not exist yet.

CM XS

CM XS
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 August 2001 - 14:49

thanks for the response, but i don't quite get it.

are you saying that the property doesn't exist yet, or the value doesn't exist yet.

if you mean the property doesn't exist yet, then there must be a way to create the property in response to a control event.  could you give me a pointer to info on this?

but, if you mean the value doesn't exist yet, then i don't see how I could define the property in my property table since orca won't let me put a null in there or an empty string.

thanks in advance.
CM

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 02 August 2001 - 15:57

You do not need to define the property in the property table.  Empty properties are equivalent to properties not exisitng.

In the case of an EDIT control.  the EDIT will create the property when someone puts some data in it.

In the case of something like a radio group then the property must exist with a valid value before the containing dialog is displayed.  However even here it does not need to be defined in the Property table, although an ICE will report a validation error.

CM XS

CM XS
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 August 2001 - 17:01

a ha!  thanks, i didn't realize you could use properties anywhere that weren't in the property table, very cool.