This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Problem with Win2k multi users on one machine

2 replies to this topic

Rob Millray

Rob Millray
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 October 2001 - 16:00

I'm not sure this is the correct section for this problem because I don't know whether this is a problem with ISD7 or not.

I have one machine with two users configured, one is an admin user with full admin rights to the machine, the other user is a basic user belonging to the 'users' group. The problem I have is that if I run my install set when logged in as admin it installs and runs perfectly. But if I install the application as admin and then without running the app log in as user1 and attempt to start the app I get a message box saying "unexpected error" even before the splash screen is displayed. The bizarre thing is if I run the app first when logged in as admin and then run it when logged in as user1 it works fine for both users. I have taken a snapshot of the registry before and after running the app as admin and don't see any obviously important changes being made in the registry. Does anyone have any ideas? Have I missed a setting somewhere?

Cheers,

Thilak

Thilak
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 October 2001 - 14:24

This MAY BE because of the "Windows Installer" service.  By default the service will not be running (manual mode).  This service will be launched (for the first time) when a MSI type installation is done.

If the ADMIN user started this and then the USER user running the setup there would be no problem as the service is already running.

But when the USER user tries for the first time, he might not be able to launch the service and getting the error.

Rob Millray

Rob Millray
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 October 2001 - 15:49

Thanks for the suggestion - I checked it out but the installer service is running at the time the error occurs.

Since the original post I have tracked the problem down further to the fact that the COM object being installed attempts to write all the CLSID information into the HKCR when it is first executed. Under win2k a restricted user does not have access to that part of the registry hence the error (I think)

I imagine this is down to a problem with the way I have configured my InstallShield setup but I have tried various different ways of registering the COM objects but even using the component wizard to specify the registry entries that appear to be causing the problem does not seem to resolve the problem.

Grrrr!