This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

uninstall but missing transform

7 replies to this topic

ThiloL

ThiloL
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 13:55

I want to uninstall a msi-setup with msiexec /x...
but the previously used MST is not available anmore. Is it possible to uninstall the MSI without having the right MST ?

akerl

akerl
  • Full Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 14:05

Why is the .MST not available? Normally MSI saves a copy of the original transform in a local cache and use it in all installations. If this transform isn't available, the installation failed. To your question. No. MSI need the cached transform while uninstall. sad.gif

Andreas Kerl

Inside Windows Installer 4.5
ISBN 3-86645-431-7

ThiloL

ThiloL
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 14:24

It seems that the MST was not locally cached.

MSIEXEC want's to load the MST from a networt-path from which it was formerly installed. Now it's not there anymore.

I could delete the TRANSFORMS-key in the registry - under HKLM\Installer\Products\<GUID>.

But i look for a nicer way to remove the transform from the installation.

My goal is a clean uninstallation.

akerl

akerl
  • Full Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 16:14

If you delete the Transform Path in the Registry, you haven't a clean uninstall, because while uninstall the Transform must be applied to the in memory view of the installation package to remove all changes.

Andreas Kerl

Inside Windows Installer 4.5
ISBN 3-86645-431-7

ThiloL

ThiloL
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 16:27

In my case removing the key would be no problem, because in my transform are only a license key and some disabled features and shortcuts.

I looked for a command-line switch to ignore transforms on uninstallation.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 01:39

How do you launch the uninstall?
msiexec /x productcode
or
msiexec /x path to msi

ThiloL

ThiloL
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 08:35

This way: msiexec /x productcode
It would be nice to have a commandline-switch like "/IgnoreMissingTransforms"
:-)

Gareth at Serif

Gareth at Serif
  • Full Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 15:08

Surely, the locally cached MSI is a copy of the MSI you originally installed with any transform(s) you applied in place. If not, how does your app repair itself? So, I presume that the transform is a requirement to satisfy a CA or some such... in which case why not supply a blank one?