This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

DLLs not being registered

2 replies to this topic

jenniferm

jenniferm
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 August 2002 - 17:38

I have several dlls in my project that need to be registered. In the past (IS 5.5 and 6.0) I marked them as self-registering and everything was fine. Now I see that it is not recommended to mark files as self-registering. I have tried setting the COM Extract at Build to Yes and to No and in neither case do the files get registered.

I must be missing a step somewhere. Can anyone tell me what I need to change to fix this and get the files to register?

Thanks,
Jennifer

DazzaH

DazzaH
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 August 2002 - 10:23

With 'Extract at Build' set to 'Yes', you should see the relevant 'exctracting...' message in the build log.

What can happen is that the Dev7 GUI can get confused if the DLL's dependencies were not present on the build machine when the COM Server was initially set up.

I have seen the following situation.......
Everything is set up fine, but nothing is shown in the COM settings of the component, or in any of the relevant tables (Class, ProgID etc).
However, if I edit the MSI directly by right clicking and selecting 'Edit with....', the tables (eg Class) do contain the data.  Also, if I convert the MSI to an ISM, the COM settings are displayed in the component.
Even though the dependencies are now present, it refuses to show the COM settings even though they are there!!  If I create a new component now using the same DLL, the settings show up fine.

arfinsd

arfinsd
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 18:49

I also had a similar problem with the dynamic file linking. If I set the file to self-register, it wouldn't self register. I check it by running regsvr32 on the file after the installation, and my program would run properly.

I ended up adding the files statically instead of dynamically. I asked Installshield about this, but they said they could get the file to register when I sent it to them. Something is hokey.
Alex Ferguson
www.SolimarSystems.com