This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

error code 0 but message box Installation failed

2 replies to this topic

MarkoK

MarkoK
  • Full Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:21

Hi there!

I'm currently developing an installer for some of our device driver for Windows XP.
It's based on WiX v3.5.

When I install the stuff I get a message box indicating me "Installation failed" even when I use /qn option for msiexec. In the log file no errors a displayed and return code is 0.

So perhaps someone among us here can shed a light on this?
Log is attached.

Attached Files

• Attached File  foo.log   187.45KB   180 downloads

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:23

I almost never use return value from EXEs for testing installed state. I use the WindowsInstaller.Installer object's ProductState property or, at a push, retrieve a value from the relevant 'Uninstall' registry key.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:24

Well that text 'installation failed' is not in the log, so it's not a text generated by Windows Installer.

I guess you (or WiX) included a Custom Action that shows that text. You may want to look at the log file while the message is shown - at that moment the install is not yet completed, and the last entries in the log may reveal the action that shows the message (this only works when the action is not an asynchronous action, but that's usually the case).