This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Driver Install

1 reply to this topic

dcleous

dcleous
  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 02:07

Hey:
I would like to know what would be a better way of installing the drivers especially non-WDM like those of File System and Print Drivers.

I personally think that copying the files to the system and then using the INF file to install,by creating a custom action that executes the file.(WIn32 API calls from windows native DLLS).

I want to know what is the procedure that normally people in the industry follow?
or any drawbacks by using my procedure?
Leo

Petch

Petch
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 12:18

How about... rolleyes.gif

Driver Install Frameworks for Applications (DIFxApp)
DIFxApp is a Windows Installer (MSI) custom action dynamic-link library (DLL) that you can use to install driver packages that are represented as MSI components in an MSI installation package. When the Windows Installer installs an application in an MSI installation package, DIFxApp uses the SetupAPI to install the driver packages associated with the application.

The Beta version of DIFxApp features the following:

• Installs file system drivers, file system filter drivers, class filter drivers, and non-Plug and Play drivers. These types of drivers are commonly installed by applications for virus detection, CD makers, and copy protection just to name a few.

• Associates driver packages with the application that installs them. When the application is uninstalled, DIFxApp uninstalls the driver packages that were installed for the application.

• Adds an entry to Add or Remove Programs so that a user can uninstall a driver package that is installed by DIFxApp.

Future versions of this tool will support Plug and Play drivers, device filter drivers, and network drivers (NDIS, intermediate drivers, clients, services, and protocols.)