This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Issue with associating file types

3 replies to this topic

souvik

souvik
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 11:43

Hi,

I have a Basic MSI project for an installer which requires that I change some of the existing file types like .bmp to get associated with our product app. I am creating some registry entries for this but that doesnot reflect the default association with the app although the icons seem to get changed. When I double-click on any particular file with these extensions, it opens up in another application instead. I am using InstallShield X for this and the OS is Windows XP.

I am without any clues on how to do this.

Can someone help me?

Thanks,

Souvik

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 10:55

Are you configuring these settings in the Advanced properties of the component that contains the exe?

souvik

souvik
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 06:52

No, the component for which I am configuring the Advanced properties is not the one which contains the exe. Can you please suggest what is a good practice for this? Also, what is the reason for having an icon association even though the file extensions are not associated with the exe.

Thanks in advance,

Souvik

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 08:17

I would find it naturla to configure the associations in the same component that contains the target exe. I'm not sure if its a requirement.