This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installing an SQL Server Database...

1 reply to this topic

henry.stock

henry.stock
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 03:59

I think this is related to installscript because I have seen parts of an Installshield 7 project that talked to an SQL server, so for lack of a better place to stick this, I am posting it here.

I have been asked to research how to install an SQL Server Database using Installshield. I am running Installshield 8 Developer. My goal is to be able to connect to a server and hopefully run an SQL script to create the database.

I am a novice when it comes to Installshield, but I do learn well from sample code. I am thinking that I would somehow invoke an SQL client such as OSQL using installscript and pass it the name of the script or scripts. Not sure of this however. Possibly I can do this by building and ODBC connection. I have read that SQL-DMO uses the ODBC drivers, but I do not want to write DMO code if I can help it.

Actually I will need to target both standard SQl Server 2000 systems and MSDE 2000.

This is but one feature of a multi-part installer involving a database install, a java client application and two .NET applications.

I would like to work with somebody who has experience in this area. I am willing to pay for help, but the goal is for me to learn, not just get the work done. If anybody know of articles that would guide me through this process, or would be willing to consult please contact me.

ranjit

ranjit
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 16:26

As far as the database part is concerned there is a good chunk of code on this site.
To your left you can see Menu window. Go to InstallScripts Samples and then scroll to Databases, click on it and you will find a Database Maintainence topic download the zip and open you will see .rul file you can open them in Notepad or with your IDE and there you are!!!!

Hope it helps...good luck

Ranjit