This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

wrong paths to files when patching

6 replies to this topic

HeikoFolkerts

HeikoFolkerts
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 12:30

Hi,
I have created a patch using the patchdesign view. The Paths to the previous setup are setup as absolute paths such as c:\installer\... The patchcreation reports no erros and no warnings. But the patch doesN't patch any files.
In the patchcreation.log I find entries that the source files are missing the desired path to the file looks like
c:\installer\.\program files\application...
So installshield put a dot between the relative part and the absolute part of my previous installer.
How can I prevent installshield from using theese wrong filepaths?

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 10:10

The first thing I would check is that the source and target installations have the same media layout. That is dont use compressed files for one setup and uncompressed files for the other.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

HeikoFolkerts

HeikoFolkerts
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 09:22

Hi,
It seems that it was a mistake by me. What irritated me was the notation of the path with the dots. Andyour tip may be right. Maybe I setup to use the compressed releasetype instead of uncompressed as in the old one.
thanks!
Regards
Heiko

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 04:31

If you have used compressed files, you need to create admin images of your setup to be able to create a patch. I prefer using compressed files and then use the admin image for patching rather than creating setups with uncompressed files. That's just a matter of personal preference though.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

HeikoFolkerts

HeikoFolkerts
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 06:35

Hi,
what do you mean by making admin images? How can they be made?
Regards
Heiko

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 03:17

From a command line:

setup.exe /a

or

msiexec /a InstallFile.msi

If supported by the setup this will uncompress all CAB files inside the compressed setup and give you a "network image" of the files.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

HeikoFolkerts

HeikoFolkerts
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 06:25

Hi,
OK thanks for the help