This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Major Update repairs on first start from menu

1 reply to this topic

tsweet

tsweet
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 November 2001 - 20:59

Hello
Due to very helpful assistance from this group,  I have almost completely got my major update to work.  Just one more thing that I know of.
I perform the major update and all seems well.  When I run the application from the start menu for the first time, Windows 2000 initiates a repair and it repairs the application.  I am wondering why it is doing this.

My FindRelatedApplications item is between Install Validate and InstallInitialize.  I placed it here because I may have broken component GUID rules in the past.
I have numerous features and subfeatures in the install, based on past attempts to get the minor upgrade working.

If I install version 1, start the application from the start menu and then close it and upgrade to 2, , I see this behavior

If I install version 1 and upgrade to 2, without first running 1, I do not see this behavior.

Any ideas?  

Thank you
tom

tsweet

tsweet
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 November 2001 - 23:44

This issue is resolved..... for now at least..
here is what happened.
We include a text file in its own component.  This file is important, so therefore, it is a keyfile.  This file is modfied as the program is run.   The major upgrade detected this existing non-versioned TEXT file as having a greater version that the  one in the install, so it noted this for non installation.   MSI © (68:20): Disallowing installation of component: {C14AF5E2-DE64-4CB3-BD02-808F92EFE04D} since the same component with higher versioned keyfile exists
My placement of the removeexisiting products action removed the existing file and the install did not install the one from the install.  Therefore, upon start, this component being in the same feature as the exe, caused a repair situation.

I know my placement of removeexisting products is less than ideal, being at the beginning, but we have may may changes to this product line, and as we learn, we are moving/removing/renaming  components, etc.  

This was resolved (right or wrong) by:
1.  Moving the offending component into its own subfeature, therefore not provoking a repair on start of the shortcut.  This covers the previous release in the field.
2.  Setting the file to permanent.
2.  Se