This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Unwelcome Repair Installation for standard user - New File Extension

1 reply to this topic

Eugen.Koch

Eugen.Koch
  • Full Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:17

Hey there!

my InstallShield Project is registering a new File-Extension. The installation runs with administration privileges. For the installing user (admin) works everything fine.

He can start the new File-Extension-Files. The problem is when a standard user (with no admin rights) wants to start the new File-Extension.

The result is, that a repair installation beginns, but the standard user has no rights...

Is there a chance to register the new File-Extension for ALLUSERS? Without a repair-Installation for every standard user?

Here are some facts about my InstallShield Project:

- Creating with InstallShield Premier 2014 (Basic MSI Project)

- The *.exe-File is a Key-File and sets the File-Extension

- The Shortcut-Property: "Advertised" for the application is set to "No"

- ALLUSERS-Property is set to "1"

Please let me know if you need further information! Thank you very much for the help!

Best Regards!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:54

So it looks like the extension is registred, but the exe it points to is not available to all users (or is missing something). What happens if you create an advertised shortcut and start the exe from this? If this also triggers a repair, there's a problem with your install (not with the extension). Also, see http://www.msifaq.com/a/1037.htm for some diagnostic help