This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Prerequisite through MSI

3 replies to this topic

nesesser

nesesser
  • Full Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 06:33

Hi.
I faced the question. We use software deploying though Active Directory (GPO). For this reason we can't use setup.exe. But there are some significant prerequisites in setup.exe.

Q:
How to create prerequisites in MSI package? Is it possible? What particularities can occur?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 20:37

If the prerequisites are msi setups themselves: not possible.

In a GPO deployment scenario I'd say it's the administrator's responsibility to pre-deploy any prerequisites. The administrator probably wouldn't be quite happy if you silently put some unapproved version of Acrobat Reader etc. on the target machine. Instead you should document this requirement.

My recommendation however is to check (but not install) the prerequisites in your MSI using System Search and a Launch Condition. This will prevent your setup from running if prerequisites are missing. This is also safety measure for "normal" users who might launch the msi file directly without using your setup.exe.

Be sure to Or your Launch Conditions with "Or Installed" to make sure your application can be UNinstalled even if a prerequisite has been removed in the meantime.

nesesser

nesesser
  • Full Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 06:17

Thnks a lot Stefan.
Yes, I can't but agree with you. All situations you described are have place to be.

Ok. But how to be with such components, which is needed to provide UI (when manual deploying is going)?
E.g. Windows Host Script or such usefull library as SQL-DMO.
Maybe it's not so criminal?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 18:52

Any thrid party package that doesn't use MSI can be called from a custom action. Alternatively you can launch it (even if it's a MSI) from the setup.exe that InstallSiheld provides, as a "prerequisite".