This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Is it acceptable behavior?

2 replies to this topic

austinajit

austinajit
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 04:43

If there are 4 features and all features are turned down (deslected) in custom setup dialog, what should be the expected behavior?
1. Continue on with the install and not change the target machine
2. Uninstall if the product is installed
3. This scenario is not accepted.

I googled about it and found no information. Can anyone provide me some pointer to this scenario?

Thanks,
Austin.

austinajit

austinajit
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 04:56

I created a sample application to simulate the scenario and found the following:
1. When the installer is executed when the product is already installed, then delselecting all features in custom setup dialog screen uninstalls the existing product.
2. When the product is not installed, the deselecting all features doesn't change the target machine.

Is it the industry standard behavior of windows installer?

Please provide your thoughts on the same.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 12:08

Hi, in my opinion this does not make sense. For any application there are certain key features that should be installed by a mandatory feature that should not be possible to deselect - you could hide this feature so that it looks like nothing is selected in the dialog, but the core features are still installed.

All in all this seems somewhat academic. The installer will probably still be registered on the system even if all files are removed (check add/remove).
Regards
-Stein Åsmul