This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

SQLLogin during Upgrade/Maintenance

6 replies to this topic

DenMori

DenMori
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 19:22

I have the SQL Dialog, SQL Browse, SQL Database dialogs set up in my project and all is fine. The problem that I have been presented with is as follows:

1. During an upgrade/maintenance process, these dialogs do not appear at all. I have been told that during an upgrade, these dialogs should be shown again in case additional databases have been added since the original installation. I cannot assume that only the databases I selected in the prior install are the ones I want to use for upgrades/maintenance.

2. Our security environment requires regular password changes. If the upgrade/maintenance occurs after the password expires, the connection won't be made to the database using the id/password that IS stores for re-use.

Here's what I've tried so far without success:

1. Cloned my SQLLogin dialog and added an entry on the Maintenance Type Dialog Behavior/Events for New Dialog, SqlLogin1, _IsMaintenance <> "Remove"

2. Set a property in Property Manager IS_SQLSERVER_DO_NOT_USE_REG and gave it a non-blank value (saw this in another post)

Right now I am focusing my testing on Maintenance, but I also need to know what to do regarding upgrades. This project is configured as a Major Upgrade.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 08:30

During a Major Upgrade you should see the full first-time-install UI of the new setup because you essentially uninstall the old version and install the new version.

DenMori

DenMori
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 01:49

I'll have to check that when I am back in the office on Monday.

DenMori

DenMori
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 14:36

Agreed, if I configure the upgrade as a Major Upgrade. However, this functionality is also desired as part of a Minor Upgrade (customer may have added additional databases since original product installed) as well as during a Maintenance install (product installed, additional databases installed afterwards to which scripts should be applied)

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 17:43

For a Minor Update you need to modify the conditions on your dialogs and/or Next button actions.

DenMori

DenMori
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 19:10

What type of condition modifications? If you are talking about modifiying the existing dialogs, will I be allowed to insert them into the Maintenance sequence, or should I clone them as described in the original post?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 17:56

You can modify the conditions on the Next and Back buttons of your maintenance sequence to insert the SQL dialog in that sequence, too. However I'm not sure (haven't tested) if InstallShield can use a different SQL connection/credentials than what was specified during the first time install. Please test and post the result.