This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How does repair work?

1 reply to this topic

gronchi

gronchi
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 September 2003 - 11:06

Hi to all,
first the problem.

I often deliver beta-test packages to our Test team (not real customer, they are colleagues!).
These packages are frequently modified/updated since they are not final products.

Test people lament each time they have to reinstall a setup they have to first uninstall the old one (same project --> automatically enter the maintenance mode).

I thought to say them to use Repair mode instead of Remove+Install when I give them the new packages (same project).
So I studied how Maintenance Repair work.
I discovered that:
(-) if I add/modified some source file and then rebuild the package the Repair will add/replace those file in the installed tree.
(-) if I delete some source file and then rebuild the package the Repair will NOT delete them in the installed tree.
(-) if I add a new group (linking it to an old component) and then rebuild the package the Repair will add the new group's files in the installed tree.
(-) if I delete a group and then rebuild the package the Repair will NOT delete the deleted group's files in the installed tree.
(-) if I add/delete a component and then rebuild the package the Repair will NOT add/delete it in the installed tree.

That is, Reapair seems to me to reinstall all new package files\programs ONLY if they "belong" to old components and it NEVER delete from the installed tree files\programs no more packaged.
It's right?

If this is true, Repair doesn't resolve my problem since remove files/groups from project is a frequently operation during test time.

Is there an alternative way to "update" a setup without perform a Remove+Install and without turn each time to a new project?

Thanks to all,
ciao Giuseppe

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 18 September 2003 - 14:01

All that behavior is as I would expect.

Deleting files, file groups, or components doesn't remove things from the installation since that "history" is not taken into account, and those existing files are just ignored. Your installation script would need to have code to perform this additional cleanup to delete any leftover files and/or directories.

Also, adding a component is not taken into account since the previous components selections have been saved off and are simply being re-applied. To get around this you can have them delete this saved information prior to reinstalling. It's stored under %Program Files%\InstallShield Installation Information\<SetupGUID>. Having removed this information, your setup will run like a regular installation instead of the standard Maintenance mode. Thus allowing the default component selections to come back into play.
user posted image