This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Questions about Component, Features and Minor Upgr

1 reply to this topic

igorl

igorl
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:40

Previously I mainly use major upgrades with changes of product codes. Now I need minor upgrades which allow more soft upgrade - just reinstall and also allow patches. Major upgrades for some strange reasons doesn't allow it.
So I research this questions and have non-answered.
1. I found rules of thumb for choosing major-minor upgrade http://msdn.microsof...roduct_code.asp . Here I read that it is possible to reduce feature-components tree during minor upgrade, but following below rules cut all such possibilities, so what I can change and how?
2. How can I delete files during minor upgrades if I use 1 file per component rule? I must delete components but it is impossible...
3. Is it possible to delete feature in minor upgrade?
4. I use mallow and tallow to create wxi files - is it possibilities to support minor updates?
5. What is preferrable - to change Product Code or not?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 17:21

Here I read that it is possible to reduce feature-components tree during minor upgrade,
In my understanding this means that you can remove a feature with all its components and sub-features. However you cannot remove a component from a feature (must remove the complete feature).

2. How can I delete files during minor upgrades if I use 1 file per component rule? I must delete components but it is impossible...

Set the component condition to 0, and set the transitive flag (so that the condition will be re-evaluated). You can replace the file with a 0 byte dummy to reduce the size of your new version.

3. Is it possible to delete feature in minor upgrade?
According to that artice: yes. However I've never tried it. (You must also remove all sub-features and components under the feature you are deleting).

4. I use mallow and tallow to create wxi files - is it possibilities to support minor updates?
I'm not familar with these tools so this is probably a question for the WiX-users mailing list. Do these tools auto-generate component GUIDs? This could be a problem.

5. What is preferrable - to change Product Code or not?

For small changes a Small or Minor update is preferred (can be shipped as patch, is uninstallable, ...). But Major Upgrades aren't evil.