This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

feature marked as advertised when it shouldn't be

2 replies to this topic

charlierobson

charlierobson
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 17:33

Hi all,

I was recently debugging an install at a large user of our product where 2000 out of 6000 endpoints were experiencing upgrade problems. The product itself is in version 7 and is in wide use. We are not seeing this problem at any other sites.

The product is installed from an uncompressed package cached on the endpoint.

The install appears to proceed correctly without obvious visible error but none of our dlls are installed and when installer attempts to start the service component of the program, the install fails.

If the product is uninstalled and the install re-run from the cache, everything works.

This log entry appears to my untrained eye to point to the source of the non-installing feature problem:

MSI (s) (48:C8) [06:36:59:697]: Feature: MainComponents; Installed: Advertise;  Request: Reinstall;  Action: Reinstall

This feature has never nor should ever be an advertised install. We just don't do that.

The program is installing from a cached package on the machine and there is no obvious damage to the package. The install is automated and this is what we're passing in:

REINSTALLMODE=vmuso REINSTALL=ALL REBOOT=ReallySuppress UPDATEDRIVERS=0

later in the log I see this, the only other mention of the feature by name:

MSI (s) (48:C8) [06:36:59:634]: SELMGR: New components have been added to feature 'MainComponents'

Each of the files referenced in the feature are taken from merge modules.

If it was a problem with the msi database itself would the problem not occur on all 6000 machines? Might it be something to do with patches on different endpoints?

How can this happen? I'm not an msi expert by any means so any clues as to why a selection of machines show this error when upgrading would be appreciated!

Thanks for looking.

Charlie

Edited by charlierobson, 09 January 2008 - 17:35.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 13:30

I think that you violated some component rule for small and minor updates, maybe removed a component (opr a merge module) from a feature or changed a component GUID. Look for SELMGR errors in the log.

charlierobson

charlierobson
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 15:11

Thanks Stefan,

I'll start looking.