This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Uninstall causing an application error when unregi

4 replies to this topic

pauldavidson

pauldavidson
  • Full Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 17:06

I have created an installer using an InstallScript project. More often than not this seems to install correctly, but then every time I try to uninstall I get an application error in "setup.exe" with no other error details.

I have no custom code for doing an uninstall so I was a bit confused.

I noticed that on occasion when doing an install, an exception would be thrown with the faulting module "metroSO.dll" in "setup.exe". This is a file that I added to the "Files and Folders" in the Application Data section. InstallShield has noticed that this file needs registering as it puts it in a section "SelfRegFiles", so I assume something is going wrong on occasion when (un)registering this dll.

As a test, I went into the "Files and Folders" and deleted the ones I thought that it was registering, and presto it would install/uninstall perfectly fine.

I need to install these files as part of the install and register them, can anyone shed any light on why the install would fail while registering these files?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 19:09

Is the file depending on other self registering files? In this case, the order in which the files get unregistered could matter.

pauldavidson

pauldavidson
  • Full Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:45

I have registered it using the cmd prompt, and then unregistered it no problem. Just on its own, on a machine that this installer has not run on. So it can't be any reliance.

Is there any way I can hook into an event in installscript and ignore any errors while it tries to unregister?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:09

You could modify the OnSelfRegistrationError event handler. But if setup.exe crashes before it gets there, this won't help.

pauldavidson

pauldavidson
  • Full Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:21

Yeah it was still crashing. I am probably going to do a workaround to get round this issue.