This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

A question about Merge Modules and OS versions err

7 replies to this topic

workaholic

workaholic
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 20:23

Ok, I have a question for you gurus...

I'm building a Basic MSI Package using XP SP2. I created an install project first, using the VB Wizard to determine the merge modules required for my application.

One of these is the MFC 6.0 merge module.

Now, when I build my install package, and run it on a Windows 2000 SP4 system, it gives me a 1931 error.

So, should I be including the MFC 6.0 merge module as a redistributable, or not? From what documentation/comments I've found, it says that this should already be installed on the client computer, and I shouldn't be replacing it.

So - if I'm not supposed to be including it, why is it there to begin with??

Also, maybe I should be using multiple MFC 6.0 merge modules in my install package for the different OS's?

Can someone help me understand this?

Thanks,

Earl

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 22:30

I think it's a bug in the merge module. It should have a condition to prevent this file from installing on Win2k SP4

workaholic

workaholic
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 01:38

Since I don't have the source for this mergemodule, is there anyway to add in the condition for the install?

I don't see conditions on mergemodules in installshield.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 09:35

You can open and edit the merge module (.msm file) in InstallShield.

workaholic

workaholic
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 16:47

Ok - this is something I haven't done before... Any pointers on how to do this/what to do?

Thanks,

Earl

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 17:00

File > Open > File type= Windows Installer Modules (*.msm)
In DirectEditor select the Component table and modify the Condition column by appending something like
And Not (VersionNT=500 And ServicePackLevel>=4)
Note that this voids any warrenty you may have from Microsoft for this merge module.

Alternatively contact Microsoft support (or post in a managed Microsoft newsgroups if you have a MSDN subscription) to get an official solution from Microsoft. BTW did you search their knowledge base?

grisdeya

grisdeya
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 19:48

Here that's fine too.. biggrin.gif

Setup installs an application that uses a reference to Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2,5 Library in a modulate .bas (sax BASIC). I add to setup MDAC25.msm (is it correct??) and anyway could not be added.

workaholic

workaholic
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 21:59

Thanks - sorry was away in Detroit for a few days.

I did search microsoft's site, but didn't find anything. I'll give your suggestion a go.

I really do appreciate your help - thank you very much!!

Earl