This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Uninstall asking for Disk 1

5 replies to this topic

Xitch13

Xitch13
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 20:11

Hi there;

I have a parent installer that calls two children installers. The problem I'm experiencing comes when I try to uninstall everything.

During the uninstall process of the parent installer, I call the uninstallers for both children from their folders at C:\Program Files\Installshield Installation Information\<GUID>. When I call one of the children uninstallers it ask for me to replace Disk 1 so it can find data2.cab. If I hit cancel the uninstall progresses and everything is removed. Please note that these children installers are small and it obviously really does not need that file if it removes everything anyway.

Is there a way around this problem? Should I just copy the 100kb data2.cab file into that folder and be done with it?
There is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent. (Mao Tse Tung)

Xitch13

Xitch13
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 16:07

Btw I have solved this problem. Well, not solved but came up witha work-around.

I just copy an old cab file named data2.cab into that directory and it no olonger asks for it during the uninstall.

However, this is not the 'right' way to fix this. I recently made another installer exactly like this, and now it's asking for data3.cab on uninstall. I use the same workaround, except that I had to name an empty text file data3.cab because the install does not have the data3.cab file to begin with.

It seems to me this may be a bug, so I'll report it. But I won't hold my breath that they will fix it.
There is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent. (Mao Tse Tung)

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 14:40

How do you launch these child installs? And what's your exact version of InstallShield? I think there was a bug with child installs that sounds similar, but I don't recall exactly (I'll have to check)

Xitch13

Xitch13
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 19:32

I'm using Installshield 7.01 with sp2 (I believe. I know I installed sp1, and I belivew sp2 was installed with an automatic update)

This is the code is use to launch the child uninstallers
CODE

function UninstallChildInstalls()

STRING szPath, szKey, szResult, szCommand;
LIST listPaths;
NUMBER  nResult;

begin
SdShowMsg("Removing Video and POS installs",TRUE);
listPaths = ListCreate(STRINGLIST);

//Get any paths from registry
  szKey = "SOFTWARE\\CA Technology\\eVision\\Compartment\\Uninstall";
RegDBQueryKey(szKey,REGDB_NAMES,listPaths);
  nResult = ListGetFirstString(listPaths,szResult);
while (nResult != END_OF_LIST)
 szCommand = "C:\\Program Files\\InstallShield Installation Information\\";
 szCommand = szCommand + szResult +"\\setup.inx\"";
 DoInstall(szCommand,"",WAIT);
 Delay(30);
 nResult = ListGetNextString(listPaths,szResult);
endwhile;

ListDestroy(listPaths);
SdShowMsg("Removing Video and POS installs",FALSE);

end;

so the actual line would look like

DoInstall("C:\\Program Files\\Installshield Installation Information\\{GUID}\\setup.inx","",WAIT);

The uninstall for the children basically just have the ComponentRemoveAll() in OnMaintUIBefore() with nothing in the OnMaintUIAfter().

I have recently run into this problem again, where it stared asking for data3, then data4, then data5, etc... Even adding those files as the uninstaller asks for them, it will just ask for the next highest. This is really truning into a problem for me.

It's obviuos the uninstaller is looking for something and can't find it, but what? Hitting cancel still uninstalls everything properly, but the client is understabably not happy with that work-around

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 09:05

Do you call this function before or after the MoveData event of the parent? Try calling it before to see if that helps.
I think the other known issues only affected version 6.

Xitch13

Xitch13
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 16:50

I call the function in OnMaintUIBefore, so it's one of the first steps I preform.

The steps I preformed i before calling that function were -
1. Verify user would like to uninstall
2. Stop services - both from the parent installer and those installed by the children installer
3. Delete databases using a batch file that call SQL scripts
4. Then call that function.