This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

MSI Updateing

1 reply to this topic

MichaelA

MichaelA
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 17:52

I have created and Install for a product. The product contains many configuration options. I'm toying with 2 different approachs and was wondering if anyone had any of the save issues.

Approach #1 would be to use the installer to set up all the configuration settings. The problem I see with this is that on an upgrade all the settings would be reverted to default settings. (Am I missing something here ?)

Approach #2 would be to have the installer only configure System level options and then create a custom action to configure the Softwares settings, thus upgrades would leave the user settings alone unless I updated them via the custom action.

Seems to me approach 2 would be the only proper choice but, I'm open for any suggestions.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 19:35

You can avoid the problem with #1 if your update first reads the current values.

A proper solution would be for the application to generate per-user settings (either from built in defaults, or from global default values your setup stores in registry per machine). The consequence would be that these entries don't get uninstalled (which is okay because they are user data)