This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

looking for advanced button functionality

3 replies to this topic

Mayurb

Mayurb
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 16:10

I have a kind of an advanced button on the custom dialog to show some other advanced options.
what is the best practice for doing this?
I'm thinking about the following 2 -
1) Pop-up screen
2) Show on the same screen - just hide and show these controls. But with this option, the users are saying that the height of the dialog should be changed dynamically.

I've not been able to find anything to do either of these things. Can anybody help me with this?

I'm using installscript project.

Thanks,
Mayur.

Edited by Mayurb, 06 October 2008 - 16:19.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 16:15

I have seen both ways in Windows programs. There's a third option: you could branch to another dialog in the wizard sequence for the advanced settings - somewhat similar to the setup type dialog where "Typical" uses all default values, and "Custom" leads to additional steps for advanced settings.

phood

phood
  • Full Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 20:26

I currently have an advanced button on my Custom screen. When users click it, the case section executes a separate executable file with the LaunchAppAndWait function. After the separate executable is done collecting information, the Custom screen loop continues.

With an external executable, you need a way to get the information back into the main installer -- I used a registry key. Since my executable was already written and contained a lot of complex logic, I went with this approach. If I had to do the functionality from scratch, I would have embedded it in InstallScript as Stefan is saying.

Mayurb

Mayurb
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 16:30

Thanks for the reply, guys.

I have little different scenario over here.
I am installing different things like windows services, database, website. And I have separate screen for settigs related to each of these options and there are advanced settings on each of these screens.
So a separate screen in the wizard step will not help over here.