This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

transform & MSI source file for modify/repair

2 replies to this topic

crush23

crush23
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 15:03

hi,

i have a question about how Windows Installer makes copies in the %windir%\Installer folder.

I use transforms to generate multiple instances of an application. The problem is that when user wants to perform a modify or repair of the application, Windows Installer starts to search for the original MSI which is not always available.

After some research i found out that Windows Installer stores only a small part of the MSI in the %windir%\Installer folder - I guess that this small part is the transform diff.

So i tried to use an embedded transform (at least i think i did), using the MsiDatabaseApplyTransform MSI API function, but the result was the same.

Any ideas on how to force the Installer to cache the whole MSI?

thank,
crush

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:57

QUOTE (crush23 @ 2009-09-04 14:03)
I guess that this small part is the transform diff.

If access to the original source is a problem for your workstations, you should set up your deployments to copy packages locally and execute them from there.

That guess would be incorrect. The cached MSI is essentially the original but minus internal CABs.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

crush23

crush23
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 14:49

Hey,

thanks for the answer, I came to the same conclusion tongue.gif

And form what I could gather, there is no "elegant" way to cache the whole MSI.

Thanks anyway,
crush