This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Does InstallScript run during an Upgrade?

2 replies to this topic

Arcangel_666

Arcangel_666
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 19:58

Hello all,

I have what I hope will be a quick question.

I have an install which relies heavily on Installscript to Install Databases, update INI files and a bunch of other custom work. I am workin in Developer 8 Installscript MSI project.

My question is, lets say I have my main release all ready out in the field. I need to update the application. Not only do I have to update the components and features, I need to run some InstallScripts functions to update the custom files/databases as well.

Is it possible to run InstallScript functions during a Minor/Major upgrade? Is there a certain section (like Patch UI Before/after) that I can write the code for?

I'm also guessing that If this does not exist... I will have to ignore the whole "upgrade" section of Windows Installer and simply have a new upgrade/product and package code? At that point, I can write the code directly into the installscript to detect my version of the application and do appropriate changes from that point.

Is that the best way of doing this?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Nick

faisalaslams

faisalaslams
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 07:46

I have the same question.
I posted it on the Installshield community forum, and didnt get any answer. sad.gif

mishka

mishka
  • Full Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 09:15

Define global variable flIsUpdating.
Initialize it to TRUE in OnBegin()
Set it to FALSE in OnFirstUIBefore()
Set it to FALSE in OnMaintUIBefore()

Now you can check the value of this variable for example in OnMoving(), OnMoved() etc.. and be sure that you're performing upgrade..