This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Document icon disappear after update

4 replies to this topic

ankil

ankil
  • Full Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 13:36

Hi. 

I'm having a weird problem with document icons. 

My app is running fine, and the build in Installshield have none error or warnings. 

I have updatet my app from version 7.3.3 to 7.4 (major update). When my app version 7.3.3 was installed the document icon was correct, anfter I upgraded to my app 7.4 the document icon disappeared and I'm left with a "blank page" for an icon. 

When I updatet the basic MSI project in Installshield from 7.3.3 to 7.4 I didn't touch anything around the document icon. Everything seems to be correct in Installshield. 

Can anybody tell me how to fix this? 

Can it be fixed in Installshield or is this a Windows thing? 

I have windows 10.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 23:30

Maybe you can try to refresh the icon cache? See the answer below the one I link to if this does not work.

If this does not work you should check the MSI for your most recent build. Locate the Icon table after opening the MSI with Orca or Installshield. Then try to extract the icon entries there and save somewhere (desktop). Perhaps use *.bmp (or *.ico) as file name, and then try to open the icon to see if it is valid icon file. If you have Visual Studio, open the icon in Visual Studio.

You can also check the following location on disk:

%SystemRoot%\Installer\[YourProductGuid]

This folder should contain all the icons in your MSI's Icon table after installation. If it does not, then you need to investigate what has happened to your build process to cause the problem in the MSI.

Edited by Glytzhkof, 04 June 2018 - 23:31.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

ankil

ankil
  • Full Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 05:48

Thanks for answers. I will try this. 

I have been thinking about one thing. Can there be a problem with the Icon Index? According to the icon index, I should write a number that represents the order of the icon used in the .exe file. 

With this I mean: If my document icon is the second icon in the .exe file, the Icon Index should be set to 1. If my document icon is the third icon in the .exe fil the icon index should be set to 2, and so on. 

My icon index is set to 0, and that means the first Icon in the .exe fil, but I believe that the program icon will be the normal first choice in a .exe file.

Any thoughts?? 

ankil

ankil
  • Full Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 13:22

And by the way, I tried to refresh the Icon Cache, but that didn't work. I have looked into the Icon Index used in Installshield, and after some reading I found a program online where I can open a .exe file to look at the order of the icons in the .exe file. 

And in the .exe file I'm having problems with, there is only very old icons, the icons I have to use for the app and for the documents are not there. Maybe this is the problem?? 

And of course, I have to set the Icon Index to the correct number.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 14:29

Make sure to run that icon viewer application you downloaded by virustotal.com. I have seen some very dodgy icon extractor applications around.

You can see icons in an EXE by creating a shortcut to it:

1. Right click EXE, hold button, drag to an empty desktop location, release button, select "Create Shortcut Here"
  2. Right click shortcut, select properties. Then go to Change Icon...
  3. This should allow you to see all available icons inside the binary.
  4. I guess the first one is 0, then 1, etc...

It sounds like your binary has been changed somehow. Did you talk to the developers about the icons? Maybe you are the developer? They could have messed up something so the icons are no longer correctly compiled and you need to resolve the resource files in the source code so that the icons that end up inside the binary are correct.

Edited by Glytzhkof, 05 June 2018 - 14:30.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul