This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Severe failure

5 replies to this topic

fleadope

fleadope
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 06:37

When I attempt to install a version of an peer-to-peer SDK that I downloaded from the internet, I get the following error:

... requires Windows 2000 Server / Advanced Server or Windows XP Server / Advanced Server. The software cannot be installed on this version of Windows Operating System.  :angry:

The server in question IS running Win2000 Advanced Server, SP3. Is there any way that I can fake the package into installing? I have looked at the package with ORCA, and can't seem to find the right key to change.

Thank you,

Lee

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 18:17

Take a look at the LaunchConditions table with Orce.

fleadope

fleadope
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 19:35

Thanks for your prompt reply.

The "LaunchConditions" key said VersionNT >= 500.
I deleted that key, re-saved the .msi file, and I still get the same error. :(

Any more clues?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 20:08

If that's the only entry then the detection is probably home-made.

fleadope

fleadope
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 20:16

Thanks Stefan. :(

Is there any way that you know of to extract the archive? The installer gives me the source code, so I should be able to make the neccessary .dll's and register them.

lee

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 20:27

You have three options:

If it's something home made then it will be in a custom action, e.g. a DLL. A package can be modified to not call that DLL. This of course requires a good amount MSI knowledge.

Extract the files from the CAB (using WinZip for instance), or perform an administrative install using msiexec.exe /a "C:\path to\your.msi" This should extract all the files to a location you can (hopefully) specify. Then you would have to manually copy the files, make any regsitry entries, etc. Very tedious and error prone.

You can contact the manufacturer to request a fix for the package. (Maybe the best solution, if possible)