This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Actions sequence order

7 replies to this topic

bjh

bjh
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 May 2001 - 17:15

I have a very confusing scenario: I try to put a custom action as far as it's possible in the execute sequence, in order to be sure the setup files were already copied in their intended place and the action is called always before the files are copied.

Irina

Irina
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 21 May 2001 - 18:31

Hi,
What about type of your custom action?
It should be Deferred execution. Go to Action View select Custom action and run Wizard.

bjh

bjh
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 May 2001 - 14:04

It could be that this will solve the problem, but the fact that the order is not preserved as one expects is still puzzling.
Example: I try to put the custom action after the InstallFiles, expecting to find the files in their place when my custom action starts to execute.

Irina

Irina
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 22 May 2001 - 14:13

Hi,
Try to use full path of yours executable file in CA such as [INSTALLDIR]File.exe. Create another custom action to set property [INSTALLDIR] available in your deffered CA.
Or put message box before exetution CA and see what do you have at this moment.

bjh

bjh
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 May 2001 - 14:18

I tried to debug the whole thing and if I stop the execuion inside the custom action and check the [INSTALLDIR] it is still not there (as expected, since the InstallFiles is still not started)
And, of course, I use the full path, but again, the files are still not there - this is the problem.

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 22 May 2001 - 14:49

You said you were puzzled that order of custom actions was not preserved.

There are several types of custom actions.  The simplest are executed immediately.  The second type are called deferred customs actions. Most actions placed between the InstallInitialize and InstallFinalize actions are of this type.  These deferred actions are not executed until the InstallFinalize action is performed.  If you are using an immediate action between InstallInitialize and InstallFinalize it will be executed before any of the deferred actions.

bjh

bjh
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 May 2001 - 15:05

Thank you, Ian,
This explains very well why I have to do the CA deferred, as sugested earlier by Irina.

Thanks again Irina and Ian.