This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

SQL server 2014 express installation

2 replies to this topic

Amarjeet

Amarjeet
  • Full Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 15:39

I am trying to install SQL Server 2014 by using installshield pre requsites.

I am using following switches for SQL server 2014 express setup SP1 downloaded from Microsoft's official download page

/q /ACTION=Install /FEATURES=SQLEngine,SSMS /INSTANCENAME=SQLExpress /SQLCOLLATION="SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CS_AS" /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS="Builtin\Administrators" /SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" /IAcceptSQLServerLicenseTerms /SkipInstallerRunCheck /HIDECONSOLE /u /x:"%temp%\sql"

When i run my setup the pre requites is successfully able to unzip files in setup.exe ( size of approx. 1 GB ) into the directory specified by me. But nothing happens afterwards. Setup simply quits. Its not able to invoke setup.exe(extracted from main setup.exe)

If i change switches to below setup is successful. In this case main setup.exe unzips all files in directory where my main setup.exe is located. i don't want setup to unzip all the files where my main setup.exe is located as it can be a DVD and hence read only.

/q /ACTION=Install /FEATURES=SQLEngine,SSMS /INSTANCENAME=SQLExpress /SQLCOLLATION="SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CS_AS" /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS="Builtin\Administrators" /SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" /IAcceptSQLServerLicenseTerms /SkipInstallerRunCheck /HIDECONSOLE

Can anybody point me what i am doing wrong. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Amarjeet

deramor

deramor
  • Full Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 16:57

Comparing the 2 commands, I see that there is a /u and an /x argument omitted in the "working" case.

I assume x is an unzip path.  What is /u for? 

I couldn't find the command on MS documentation page:

https://msdn.microso...v=sql.120).aspx

I also couldn't find /x documented either.

Perhaps these are for the unzip wrapper around the 1GB package?

Are you able to unzip the contents and launch setup.exe with the correct arguments?

Are you able to ship an unzipped copy of the installation?

Amarjeet

Amarjeet
  • Full Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:07

Hi Deramor,

Here is the link where you can find information about /u and /x:

https://connect.micr...ires-user-input

If i do not specify /u and x: parameters installation is successful. The only issue is installation unzips all the files in the same directory where main executable is located.

If i specify /u and /x the installation simply halts after unzipping the files. No log generated. It seems that setup.ex is not invoked when i specify my custom path.

In sql 2008 user was not required to specify unzip directory. The installation used to unzip all files on C: directory under random GUID name. From 2012 micrsoft has changed this and its causing the problem.

Few people suggested to use SP1 of SQL 2014. This issue is not resolved in SP1.