This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

More installs needs one setup

5 replies to this topic

Devang Parmar

Devang Parmar
  • Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 August 2001 - 13:15

Hello,

I have following situation :

I have basic files (dlls and exes) in my Windows Installer 1.52 which creates a setup file to install (call it as MYAPPLICATION1). Now we have developed our software further and added few more dlls and exes which uses the basic files from the first application, and creates another two applications. This means add few files to the MYAPPLICATION1 and it will become MYAPPLICATION2 or add some another files to MYAPPLICATION1 and it will become MYAPPLICATION3. So, now as these are additional files to the MYAPPLICATION1 I dont want to create three different setups. We want it tobe on the one CD itself and I want to create setup something like :

1. It will prompt user to select the application to install (by default MYAPPLICATION1will get installed). If he choses MYAPPLICATION2 or MYAPPLICATION3 then respective files will be installed. (this I can do by setting componet's install level depending upon the user's requirement by creating new dialog box).

2. Whenever user wants he should be able to add / remove files for MYAPPLICATION2 or MYAPPLICATION3. That means say user has installed only MYAPPLICATION1 initially and now he wants MYAPPLICATION2, he should be able to add files by inserting CD and add those files. Now when he enters the CD uninstallation of the MYAPPLICATION1 starts. I want him to show once again the options dialog box (new created by me).

That means the installation should work like Internet Explorer installation CD. Whenever you put CD in to CD-drive it should check softwares installed on the PC and depending upon that it shows users what is not installed and what is installed on his PC.

3. If after installing MYAPPLICATION2 if he wants to remove MYAPPLICATION2 then he should be able to remove it, but MYAPPLICATION1 should work after that. As in Add/remove in control panel shows the name of MYAPPLICATION1 only it removes the whole software. I want to show MYAPPLICATION2 and MYAPPLICATION3 seperate than MYAPPLICATION1 in control panel eventhough it is only one setup file.

I hope I am not confusing you all. Please help me in this. How can I do this ?

Regards,
Devang.

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 16 August 2001 - 14:33

Author your new install database as a Major upgrade this will give you the behaviour you want.

Devang Parmar

Devang Parmar
  • Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 August 2001 - 16:15

Hello Ian,

I havent released my installation kit yet. Our software is still in the process of development. But the behaviour I described is what we want. So, there will be only one database on the CD. How do I do this "authoring" ?

Please help.

Devang.

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 16 August 2001 - 16:46

Sorry I misread the original question, I will need to think about it

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 16 August 2001 - 17:22

A possible way ahead.

One install package that can install or remove all of your programs.

For each ot MyApplication2 and MyApplication3 add a component that will create a registry key under HKLM\software\microsot\windows\currentversion\uninstall\{GUID}  with values "DisplayName"  for MyApplicationN and UninstallString with the value "msiexec /i {ProductGUID}" this will start MyApplicaion1 installer to
do the rest of the install/modify/remove.