This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Uninstall behavior differs between exe and ARP

4 replies to this topic

BFealy

BFealy
  • Full Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 14:17

Hi All,

Having a problem that I've not encountered before. I have a basic MSI being built, installs fine.

When I uninstall the product via the Control Panel, one set of components are not removed. When I launch the exe and select remove, everything is removed.

I've looked at the uninstall key in the registry and I notice it does show the UninstalString as msiexec /I{productcode}, but even changing that to /X doesn't make the ARP behavior match the exe Remove behavior.

Has anyone seen this before? What might be going on?

Thanks,

Brian

BFealy

BFealy
  • Full Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 14:27

Just to add clarification I realized I forgot... the components being left behind are in a couple of features, none are marked permanent.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 16:28

I would first try to run the uninstall on a clean virtual machine. There could be issues with the SharedDLL counter in the registry that tends to occur on developer machines.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

BFealy

BFealy
  • Full Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 22:20

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, the bad behavior has been verified on clean systems in our environment. (including a fresh VM image)

It doesn't seem to make sense to me, but it's what we're seeing.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 14:30

Please generate a log to see what's going on.

From ARP are you clicking the "Uninstall" in ARP, or are you launching into maintenance mode and then select "remove" on the MaintenanceType dialog? In the first case the UI sequence will be skipped, in the latter casae the UI sequence is processed.
When launching from the exe, have you tried /qb to skip the UI sequence? Does uninstall still work?

Maybe you are setting some directory or require some custom action in the UI sequence which is not executed in basic UI mode.

The other reason could be permissions (when is the UAC dialog displayed).