This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How I can modify the install window size of the msi format file?

10 replies to this topic

zhxd

zhxd
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:26

Hi,all!

I have a .msi install package.When I double click the mouse left key,the .msi file can install complete,by it self(No longer need to make any other configuration).

But due to the actual needs: I want use orca(or other tools) modify the msi file,Let it don't show or hide the install window.

I use orca,but I down know which parameter I can modify it.

Does there have any way to do?

Help me please.):

Thanks a lot!

Edited by zhxd, 20 December 2013 - 08:49.

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:15

Double-clicking an MSI launches a DOS window in order to run MSIExec.EXE and it is *this* tool which executes the MSI. To suppress the UI, you need to pass the '/Q[x]' argument to MSIExec.EXE. Search MSDN for the appropriate value for '[x]' that will suit your requirement.

- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

zhxd

zhxd
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 14:08

Double-clicking an MSI launches a DOS window in order to run MSIExec.EXE and it is *this* tool which executes the MSI. To suppress the UI, you need to pass the '/Q[x]' argument to MSIExec.EXE. Search MSDN for the appropriate value for '[x]' that will suit your requirement.

Thanks a lot!

I know this command.

But I don't know How to use it.

I launch msiexec.exe in a DOS windows like this

C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe /qn C:\1.msi

It tell me the parameter about msiexec.exe.

How I can use it? :(

I want put the parameter(/qn) write in the .msi file,isn't launch the .msi file in a DOS window.

Edited by zhxd, 20 December 2013 - 14:10.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 17:31

The correct command line would be:

msiexec.exe /i C:\1.msi /qn

Note the /i in front of the path to the .msi file

If you want your setup to run without dialogs when double clicking the .msi file, the easiest way might be to remove the dialogs from the InstallUI Sequence (or set their conditions to 0)

zhxd

zhxd
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 17:41

Thanks for all.

But this is I first use .msi file.:(

Can you tell me the detail steps?

My 1.msi file was in C:\

How I can do that?:)

Important:I want put the parameter(/qn) write in the .msi file,isn't launch the .msi file in a DOS window.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 17:43

You cannot put /qn into the msi file.

Remove the dialogs instead.

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 16:12

Whether you remove the dialogs or not (clearly, you are not familiar enough with Windows Installer/MSI to do this safely), you will always get a DOS window briefly when an MSI is double-clicked (or right-clicked and 'Install' or 'Open' is selected). The only way you're going to avoid that is by changing the file association for the 'MSI.Package' object ID in the registry to possibly use 'START /B "%SystemRoot%\System32\msiexec.exe" /i "%1" %*'.

By the way, I'm guessing you want to avoid the DOS window because users find it ugly/intrusive? That would suggest that your users have the required privileges to install software. For me, *that* is what I'd be looking toi change!!

@Stephan, I think the thread should be moved to the 'User Interface' forum, perhaps?

Edited by VBScab, 21 December 2013 - 16:14.

- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:24

Moved to the UI section of the forum.

I don't see a DOS box when I double click a .msi file.

zhxd

zhxd
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:55

Thanks to Stephan and VBScab!

My means is what tools I can modify the .msi file.and which parameter I can modify?

By the way:Best wishes and happy Christmas to everybody. :)

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:06

>My means is what tools I can modify the .msi file.and
Er....you're already using Orca!

>which parameter I can modify?

Er....we already gave you all the information you need!! There is   N O T H I N G  you can add to the MSI which will prevent the Windows Installer engine from displaying the progress dialog. You  C A N  stop the dialog from appearing by specifying the required parameter to the '/Q' argument.  B U T  to have that work for double-clicking an MSI, you'll need to alter the registry data, as above.

I don't believe it can be made any clearer than that.

zhxd

zhxd
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 15:42

I must with the '/Q' argument when I lanuch the .msi file.

I think I know that,now.

Thanks for VBScab!

Edited by zhxd, 24 December 2013 - 15:47.